These cookies are absolutely the most delicious thing I've eaten! Bart and I saw them everywhere in NY and tried them at least once, so I was really excited when I saw a Cooking Light recipe for them. They are pretty easy to make, too. Here's the info:Ingredients-cookies:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup applesauce
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 large egg whites
Ingredients-frosting:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp almond extract (I omitted)
2 tbsp cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Drain applesauce (this just means put it on a paper towel to let the liquid part soak out)
4. Combine applesauce, sugar and butter. Beat for 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla and egg whites.
5. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until just blended.
6. Drop dough 2" apart (make sure they are far apart!) on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until set (not browned). Cool on pans 2 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to let cool completely.
7. To make frosting, combine 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 tbsp milk and almond extract. Stir well with whisk until smooth. Spread 1 tsp white frosting over 1/2 cookie. Let stand 10 minutes or until set.
8. Combine 3/4 cup powdered sugar and cocoa. Gradually add 2 tbsp milk, stirring with whisk until smooth. Spread 1 tsp frosting on the other side of the cookie.
Makes 2 dozen. Each has 106 calories and 2 grams of fat.
I didn't use parchment paper because I didn't have any...and the recipe specifically said not to use wax paper. So I turned to oven a little lower than 375. The chocolate icing goes a lot farther than the white, so use the white sparingly. The cookies are so soft and taste so good! You will love them!
(I googled imaged for the picture and found it here )

No comments:
Post a Comment