Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Creamy chicken and orzo

Image and recipe source
I got this recipe in a coupon mailer recently and thought I would try it out.  I had the Philadelphia cooking creme already (got it on a great sale for 25 cents!) and wasn't sure what I was going to do with it until I saw this.  I made some changes to the original recipe, see link above for their version.

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
2 cups hot cooked orzo pasta
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup corn
1 tub Philadelphia Italian cheese and herb cooking creme
1 tsp oil
1 tsp minced garlic

Directions:
1. Cook chicken and zucchini in large skillet on medium for 6-7 minutes, or until chicken is done.
2. Remove chicken and zucchini to a plate and place in the oven to stay warm.
3. Add a small amount of oil to the skillet and saute garlic for a few minutes.
4. Add corn and tomatoes and saute until warmed through.
5. Add chicken and zucchini back to pan and mix well.
6. Add cooking creme and cook 2 minutes while stirring well to combine.
7. Add orzo gradually to ensure there is enough sauce for all the pasta.

I was so surprised at how much I liked this recipe!  I wasn't sure how to end up with 2 cups of cooked orzo, so I cooked about 1 1/2 cups dry, which was more than enough.  This recipe is very flexible, and you can substitute pretty much any veggies  you like.  Just make sure to adjust the cooking time so that your veggies don't end up soggy.

No comments: